The developers from Larian Studios have shared a new community update dedicated to the breadth and depth of the upcoming turn-based cRPG Baldur’s Gate 3. The team is hard at work on Patch 5 that will be arriving on July 13th, bringing along a bunch of fixes as well as new game-changing mechanics, combat & AI improvements, a bigger focus on roleplaying, more Shadowheart’s mysteries, and even some Owlbear cub content!
“This update features a ton of improvements directly inspired by the community, many of them addressing things you’ve raised in your feedback so far. We’ve been listening closely to requests you’ve made throughout Early Access and we hope you’re really going to be excited by these changes – We definitely are. Together they improve the game a lot, and they bring Baldur’s Gate 3 yet another step closer to its 2022 release ambitions.”
Here are some of the things you can find in Patch 5:
- Active Roll, a new dice mechanic that gives players an option to apply spells and bonuses to these checks to help increase their odds.
- Background Goals, a series of secret mini-quests based on character background roles you chose during the character creation process.
- Camping 2.0. Camp Resources are a new feature that will make you think a little more strategically about when to activate a Long Rest. Another new addition are Mini Camps, the smaller localized camps for your crew to take a rest at.
- Enemy AI: enemies will now be a lot smarter and more resourceful in combat. For instance, now if there is a weapon nearby, unarmed enemies will grab it to defend themselves.
- Spellcasting Upgrade: players can also expect to see updated class spell animations, which are looking awesome.
- Non-lethal Combat: the team added a new Nonlethal Attack Mode. This means that if you steal something from NPCs and they start attacking you, you can actually just knock them out instead of killing them.
- Shadowheart’s storyline: Shadowheart got extra love in this patch. Not only does this update feature extra dialogue permutations with her, but her storyline was also kicked up a notch. Expect to start hearing a little more about the mysterious item she carries with her. Oh, and you can now free her in the tutorial!
- Point & Click Dialogue: Your character will now speak as you click through the world, reacting to the story and environment around them in real-time. A lot of recording power went into making this feature come alive – not only is the dialogue context-sensitive, it also changes depending on which character you’re playing.