The Black Mesa Steam page has been updated with a new message from the developers, detailing the summer update. The game is currently on sale with a 60% discount.
There has been lots of progress on Xen. We have started external playtesting. The first two chapters, “Xen” and “Gonarch’s Lair”, clock in around two hours. For reference, all five chapters of Xen in HL1 can be completed in approximately one hour! We are really excited to show our work to everyone, but we also want to save the majority of Xen as a surprise.
Here’s a breakdown of what has been done in each chapter:
- Xen – most of the design and art is finished, and the team is polishing the rough edges in the design
- Gonarch’s Lair – a lot of art has been completed. The first map is locked, the second map is finishing its main art pass, and the final map is undergoing some design iterations.
- Interloper – the team is happy with the state and direction of all five maps which are all very close to complete and playable from start to finish.
- Nihilanth – the art is complete, the team is starting the final push to get the chapter coded, scripted and animated
- Endgame – the work on the chapter is complete, and it is undergoing some polish
Black Mesa is a fan-recreation of the original Half-Life.
Black Mesa is the award winning fan-made re-imagining of Gordon Freeman’s landmark journey through the Black Mesa Research Facility. Relive Half-Life, Valve Software’s revolutionary debut, and experience the game that raised the bar for the entire game industry all over again!
You can find out more and take advantage of the 60% discount on Steam.