Last week the developers of Sid Meier’s Civilization VI have shared new info about the content coming to the game on September 24th as a part of New Frontier Pass. The team revealed that the third DLC pack will include 2 new Civilizations: Gaul & Byzantium, and it’s time to take a closer look at them.
Gaul civilization with Ambiorix, the Gaesatae unique unit, and the Oppidum unique district.
- Civ Unique Ability: The “Hallstatt Culture” ability allows Mines to provide a minor adjacency bonus for all districts, Culture Bomb unowned territory, and grant additional Culture. Specialty districts cannot be built next to the City Center and do not receive adjacency from other districts.
- Leader Unique Ability: With the “King of the Eburones” ability, Ambiorix’s civilization gains additional Culture based on unit cost when a non-civilian is trained. Melee, anti-cavalry, and ranged units receive bonus Combat Strength for every adjacent combat unit.
- Unique Unit: The Gaesatae replaces the Warrior. It is more expensive to train, but receives additional Combat Strength when fighting stronger units and district defenses.
- Unique District: The Oppidum is cheaper and available earlier than the Industrial Zone and unlocks the Apprenticeship technology when constructed. It is defensible, offering its own ranged attack, and receives a major adjacency bonus from Quarries and strategic resources.
Byzantine Empire with Basil II, the Dromon Ship and the Tagma unique units, and the Hippodrome unique district.
- Civ Unique Ability: The “Taxis” ability gives units additional Combat Strength or Religious Strength for each Holy City converted to Byzantium’s Religion. Byzantium’s Religion spreads when an enemy unit is defeated. Cities with Holy Sites earn bonus Great Prophet points.
- Leader Unique Ability: Basil’s “Porphyrogénnētos” ability allows Heavy and Light Cavalry units to do full damage against cities following the same religion as Byzantium. Basil gains the Tagma unique unit when the Divine Right civic is discovered.
- Unique Units: Byzantium features two unique units. The Dromon replaces the Quadrireme, has additional range, and receives additional Combat Strength against units. The Tagma replaces the Knight and grants nearby land units additional Combat Strength or Religious Strength.
- Unique District: The Hippodrome replaces the Entertainment Complex district, is cheaper to build, and provides additional Amenities. Grants a Heavy Cavalry unit when the Hippodrome and its buildings are constructed.