UPDATE: It’s past the rumor mill and is the real deal, folks. Dark Souls 1 is getting a remastered version and is being ported to Switch!
Kotaku UK is reporting that it has heard from “multiple sources” that Dark Souls 1 is getting a remastered version. The announcement is expected to happen later today as part of the latest Nintendo Direct and marks the first time any of the series titles have made it to a portable platform. Sources are reporting that this will be the final, and biggest, announcement of the event.
Once the remastered edition for Switch is revealed, a second announcement will be made informing players that the updated game will also be coming to PlayStation 4, XBox One and on PC. These ports will be handled by other companies than that of the Switch port.
Improvements for the remastered version include rebuilt lighting and similar SFX to DS3 as well as newly updated textures and graphics. Multiplayer will grow to include up to six players.
Kotaku also cites sources indicating that all three games in the series will eventually be ported to Switch by Bandai Namco.
The remastered version is expected to launch in May.
Dark Souls 1
- Extremely Deep, Dark & Difficult – Unforgiving in its punishment, yet rewarding for the determined – learn to strategize freely and conquer seemingly impossible challenges.
- Fully Seamless World – Explore a completely integrated world of dark fantasy where dungeons and areas are seamlessly intertwined, with great height.
- Mastery Earns Progression – Contains 60 hours of gameplay, with nearly 100 uniquely despair-inducing monsters & an incredibly nuanced RPG systems including: weaponry, armor, miracles, faith, and more. Player success depends on their eventual mastery of how and when to use the magic spells, choice of armor, the number of weapons, the types of weapons, and the moves attached to the weapons.
- Network Play – Players may cross paths with one another, invading each other for PVP battles, or to play co-op and take on giant boss encounters as a team.
- Flexible Character Development & Role Play – As the player progresses, they must carefully choose which of their character’s abilities to enhance as this will determine their progression style.
- Community – See other real players and empathize with their journey, learn from seeing how others died, find and leave messages for your fellow players; helping them or leading them into death.
- Symbolic of Life & Hope – The Bonfire is an important feature in Dark Souls for many reasons. Though in gameplay it serves as a health and magic recovery and a progression check point, it also happens to be the one place in the dark world where players can find a fleeting moment of warmth and calm.