Dell saw the success that that Oculus Rift, and HTC Vive had and wanted in on the action! Shipping October 17th, Dell’s first foray into the VR world the Dell Visor! Like the competition, it’s a VR headset, not unlike the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. The difference, immediately noticeable, is the lack of sensor requirement. Instead of using Sensors stationed around your room or desk, it utilizes cameras for inside-out tracking, giving you a little more freedom than you would with either of the aforementioned head units. While stationary sensors might not be an issue for some, I can see where certain applications make a sensor-less setup ideal. What’s more, is you get to look like a futuristic sci-fi android!
The Dell Visor
Dell’s Visor sports a Dual 1440×1440 resolution LCD delivering 360-degrees of immersive pleasure with razor-sharp focus. Those worried about it fitting over your glasses, it does, to what degree I cannot say.
The Dell Visor will cost you a cool $349.99 without a controller. You can score a controller for $99.99. There is a bundle deal for $449.99.
The technical specs boast a 2.89” LCD at a resolution of 1440 x 1440 per eye at 706ppi, with a refresh rate maxed out at 90Hz. You get a 110 degree Field of View with Bluetooth connectivity.
It should be noted that it does use x4 AA Batteries.
Product Dimensions and Weight
- Width: 6.71″ (170.5 mm)
- Width: 8.3″ (210 mm)
- Length: 10.6¬–12.9″ (270 mm¬–330 mm)
- Length (Visor Only): 5.43″ (138 mm)
- Width (Top Only): 4.7″ (119.3 mm)
- Length: 6″ (152.4 mm)
- Height: 4.7″ (119.3 mm)
Minimum System Requirements
- Intel Core i5 7200U (7th Gen Mobile) Dual Core with Hyperthreading technology or better.
- 8GB DDR3 Dual Channel or better
- At least 10GB of HDD space
- Integrated Intel HD Graphics 620 or greater DX12-capable integrated GPU
- Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 2.2, 7/24/2017 or later
- HDMI 1.4 or Displayport 1.2
- USB 3.0 Type-A or Type-C
- Bluetooth 4.0
- Expected Framerate: 60Hz
More to come when the product launches and reviews start to roll in!