While Microsoft doesn’t have any plans for a new Halo game, they have BIG plans for the Halo series. Almost every game in the hallowed Library of Halo is going to see something amazing in 2018.
A lot of what we know is coming down the pike came during yesterday’s livestream event. It literally unleashed a flood of new information starting with eSports action and beyond. So if you’re a fan of all things Halo, this entire post should send shivers of delight up your spine.
Many of the upgrades and enhancements will be coming your way free of charge, always a good thing in our book.
Halo series info-dump:
Here’s the torrent we received so sit back and relax:
Halo Esports Updates
- Halo World Championship 2018. Halo’s world stage is back, and better than ever. With open qualifiers in four different regions and the best Halo players and teams across the world vying for glory, the Halo World Championship 2018 aims to unleash a heroic new chapter in an already-legendary legacy.
- HCS Fall 2017 Finals. The HCS Fall 2017 Finals at DreamHack Denver are this weekend! The action is going to be incredibly intense, and you aren’t going to want to miss a moment of it – catch it all streamed live on Mixer.com/Halo & Twitch.tv/
Halo! For all the latest information, as well as predictions from our experts in the booth, make sure to check out our full HCS Fall 2017 Finals Preview.
- Team Skins are Coming to Halo 5: Guardians. Beginning with Halo 5:Guardians’ Overtime update (more on this below), you’ll begin to see some new weapon skins arrive in Halo 5: Guardians over the next several months, including new liveries for Luminosity, Str8 Rippin and defending HCS Pro League champions, Splyce, and more; stay tuned for more info on individual skin availability in the future!
- Microsoft Store Tournament Program. We’re excited to announce an expanded Microsoft Store Halo 5: Guardians tournament program that sees the slate grow from three months to five, and from 53 stores to 83 – meaning every Microsoft Store on the planet will be hosting Halo 5: Guardians tournaments beginning next month! The action kicks off on Monday Nov 6 and runs through March 2018, so make sure you find your nearest location and register online now to be part of all the action!
Beginning today, all Microsoft Stores will be featuring the recently announced Halo Recruit on Windows 10 Mixed Reality devices, letting you experience your favorite universe in a way you’ve never done before. Also, if you’ve got a Windows Mixed Reality device at home, you can download Halo Recruit and try it out for yourself on your own machine!
Halo 5: Guardians Overtime Content Release
The Halo 5: Guardians Overtime content release brings a host of tweaks, adjustments and other goodies all designed to improve overall player experience. Let’s a closer look at the big-ticket items we’ve got in store.
- 4K Upgrades. The team at 343 Industries has been working closely with Skybox Labs (longtime Halo development partners on various projects including Halo 5: Forge for Windows 10) on enhancements to Halo 5: Guardians for Xbox One X. This update takes advantage of the extra power of Xbox One X to deliver higher visual fidelity for players who have compatible hardware.
- Oddball. Oddball is back in Halo 5: Guardians, with a full suite of mode-specific medals, new VO and a return of the ballyhooed and beloved skull as “the ball.” This fan-favorite mode looks to give players yet another way to have a blast with fellow Spartans on the battlefield.
- Local Server app. With this new app, players can host a local server on a Windows 10 PC connected to the same network as Xbox One consoles to enjoy easy, low-latency Halo 5: Guardians multiplayer matches – perfect for basement brawls or running your own tournament – big or small.
- Weapon Tuning Update. Last month 343 Industries conducted a public test of these newly tuned weapons in a special matchmaking playlist which you can read all about right here. Over the course of the test we received an enormous amount of feedback via our Halo Waypoint forums and official surveys which, along with a plethora of game data, have helped the team assess and refine these weapons before they get released in the November update. Check out Halo Waypoint for a breakdown of what to expect.
Relief & Recovery REQ Pack
Last week, 343 Industries introduced the Relief & Recovery REQ Pack in Halo 5: Guardians in response to the seemingly unending string of challenges reality has thrown humanity’s way recently. With 100 percent of the proceeds from the Relief & Recovery REQ Pack going to GlobalGiving, Spartans have stepped up in a big way. The pack is available from Oct. 12-23 both in the Halo 5: Guardians in-game REQ Store or in the Xbox Live Store for $9.99 USD.
Halo Wars 2
Halo Wars 2 is also getting enhanced for Xbox One X with visual upgrades that will also take advantage of what the newest console has to offer. But perhaps what’s even more exciting for Halo Wars 2 players are the two other additions coming to game – for everyone, on all platforms – with this next update.
- Xbox Arena. Support for Xbox Arena will be rolling out which will let players organize and conduct their own online tournaments in Halo Wars 2. Xbox Arena on Xbox Live officially launched in May and the 343 team has been working closely with our partners at Creative Assembly and on the Xbox platform team to bring this great feature toHalo Wars 2.
- Crossplay for Xbox One and Windows 10 PC. As an Xbox Play Anywhere title, players have the ability to enjoy Halo Wars 2 on their console or PC, but up until now that has not included cross-platform online play. The team has worked hard to deliver this feature and final testing indicates it’s ready for release into the wild. Cross-play, Arena support and the Xbox One X visual enhancements are all targeted for release in late October.
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Today, we announced Halo: The Master Chief Collection will receive enhancements for Xbox One X, as well as fixes, improvements and upgrades to the core game to help bring it forward and modernize many of the game’s systems to take advantage of Xbox platform advancements since its original launch. To help facilitate this process, 343 Industries is planning to roll out a public “flighting” program for Halo: The Master Chief Collection to allow for iterative patches and updates while testing in the wild at large scale. Right now, 343 Industries is targeting kicking this off next spring and when the time comes, we’ll need the support of our community to help test and provide feedback at large scale as we work to update and improve Halo: The Master Chief Collection. We’ll share additional details and timing as plans are locked.
Xbox One S Ultimate Halo Bundle
As shared previously, fans who don’t have an Xbox One S or Halo can purchase everything in one great bundle – the Xbox one S Ultimate Halo Bundle. This features Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 2: Anniversary, Halo 3, and Halo 4) as well as Halo 5: Guardians. MSRP of $279 and available exclusively at Walmart in the US, thisamazing offer includes one free month of Xbox Game Pass – instant access to more than 100 great games and a 14-day Xbox Live gold trial.