Usually, the team puts up a cryptic image (or a piece of it), and the community immediately jumps to the speculating and looking through all the possible results. With Whitemane, Blizzard team has shown a bit of a door which caused the community to throw out guess after guess. Besides Whitemane herself, the popular theories have been father and son Mengsks.
This time the team has put up an image of a seal with the HotS logo in the center:
— Heroes of the Storm (@BlizzHeroes) August 18, 2018
However, an incredibly hawk-eyed user has noticed that the image had (it had since been fixed) a description in the code of the page, namely “Teaser for Mephisto”.
AWW YISSSSSSS pic.twitter.com/EEAvRENXQc
— Rocky Descallar (@rockyd900) August 18, 2018
Who is Mephisto?
Those familiar with Diablo franchize and specifically with Diablo 2 might remember this Prime Evil from Act III. Mephisto, the older brother or Diablo, is also known as the Lord of Hatred and is the demon behind the corruption of the church of Zakarum.
“The evil of Mephisto, Lord of Hatred, was so pervasive that even after he had been defeated and entombed in a soulstone, his demonic essence oozed upwards into Travincal and corrupted the Zakarum priests. Though he fell to the same heroes who killed his brothers, I fear for us should he ever return.”
It is strange to see Blizzard releasing another hero so soon after Whitemane, and there have been speculations on the picture teasing an event rather than a hero. Check out the Reddit thread for more community discussion!
Update: Blizzard Gamepress site has been updated to include a variety of screenshots dedicated to Mephisto as well as the fact list.
Here’s what you can expect from the Lord of Hatred:
Mephisto is a highly aggressive Ranged Assassin who deals incredible sustained damage by reducing the cooldowns of his abilities when damaging enemies.
His main trait is Lord of Hatred:
- Hitting enemy Heroes with Basic Abilities reduces Mephisto’s Basic Ability cooldowns.
- Skull Missile and Shade of Mephisto grant 1.5 seconds of cooldown reduction per Hero
hit, and Lightning Nova grants 0.3 seconds per Hero hit
• Skull Missile (Q) – Conjure a skull that travels in the target direction after 0.75 seconds, dealing 127
damage to enemies hit and Slowing Heroes hit by 25% for 2 seconds.
• Lightning Nova (W) – A ring of lightning appears around Mephisto for 2.5 seconds. Enemies within the ring take 48 damage every 0.25 seconds.Each time a cast of Lightning Nova hits a Hero, its damage is increased by 4%, up to 40%.
• Shade of Mephisto (E) – Teleport to a location, dealing 78 damage to nearby enemies and leaving behind a Shade of Mephisto at Mephisto’s original location. After 2.5 seconds, Mephisto is teleported back to the Shade’s location.