On April Fool’s Day, Darkest Dungeon developer Red Hook Studios took to Twitter to say, “Happy April 1st! Enjoy this sneak peek at our upcoming DLC!” The featured image, as you can see below, mentions Arena Fights and Hero vs Hero, a clear indication that PvP is something in the game’s future. However, given that it was April Fool’s Day, a lot of players dismissed the post as “just another joke”.
Turns out, we were all wrong!
Happy April 1st – Enjoy this sneak peek of our upcoming DLC! pic.twitter.com/yZOP6whaO5
— Darkest Dungeon (@DarkestDungeon) April 1, 2020
Following up on the April 1st post, Red Hook took to Twitter on April 2nd to clarify that it “wasn’t joking” and that The Butcher’s Circus is indeed the next DLC that will be out in May. As you may have already surmised, it will include Arena Fights with Hero vs Hero action!
We weren’t joking – The Butcher’s Circus is coming in May!
Play intense PVP arena battles against your friends and enemies alike. Pick your party & loadout, and let the games begin!
— Darkest Dungeon (@DarkestDungeon) April 2, 2020
Here’s what The Butcher’s Circus includes:
- New Hamlet Location: The Butcher’s Circus
- Engage in no-holds-barred PvP combat with teams of 4 heroes (without risking your Campaign heroes)
- Climb the ranks to show off your command of heroes and ability to weather misfortune and violence
- Unlock banner components and use your creativity to assemble your own duelist heraldry
- Strategize with new gladiatorial trinkets that can mean all the difference in pitched battles against other heroes
- A gleefully warped musical theme by Stuart Chatwood, Narrator quips by the esteemed Wayne June, and all-new gripping sound FX by Power Up Audio
At this point, there is no information about how much the DLC will cost but players can add the Steam listing for The Butcher’s Circus to their wishlist to keep apprised of its development and release.
Want to know more? Head to the Darkest Dungeon “The Butcher’s Circus” Steam page to learn more.