Beginning today, February 27th, Mexican developer Lienzo is excitedly celebrating the release of Mulaka – a 3D action adventure game and intimate look at the rich history and mythology of northern Mexicos’ indigenous Tarahumara people. Currently it is only available on PS4 and PC, however, the game is set to be released on the Switch and XBox One on March 1st and 2nd respectively.
Embracing lush and diverse imagery drawn directly from the Sierra Tarahumara region of Mexico that the Tarahumara people call their home, Mulaka’s launch trailer shines a spotlight on the hero’s journey. From facing down giant bosses like the fearsome Watakari – A gargantuan bullfrog, ancient guardian of the mythical Arareko lake – to using the powers of the demigods to transform and explore new parts of the world, Mulaka offers up a fast-paced gameplay experience that’s truly authentic to the culture it so lovingly portrays.
The game will feature dialogue recorded in the Tarahumara’s native tongue as well as the creatures of myth and legends passed down for generations. The team at Lienzo consulted with anthropologists and Tarahumara elders to ensure a commitment to accuracy and authenticity.
Mulaka is available today on PS4 and PC, and releases on Nintendo Switch and Xbox One on March 1st and March 2nd respectively. In addition, all PlayStation Plus subscribers who purchase Mulaka in its first week will receive an exclusive dynamic theme for free. For the latest updates, visit Lienzo’s official website, follow them on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Twitch, or visit Mulaka’s store pages on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Steam, Humble Store, and GOG.
- Become the legend: Harness the renowned athletic talents of the Tarahumara as you engage in fast-paced platforming and hand-to-hand combat.
- Explore Sierra Tarahumara: Traverse a 3D world inspired by the legendary, real-life landscapes of northern Mexico, rendered in a vibrant, low-poly visual style.
- Based on real mythology: Draw upon the powers of demigods and battle fearsome creatures pulled from the rich lore of the Tarahumara people.
- Live the culture: From narration in their indigenous language to music unique to the region, experience an authentic representation of Tarahumara culture.
- Mix up your gameplay: Leverage the Tarahumara’s physical prowess, demigod transformations, puzzle-solving and the crafting of magic potions as you save humanity from the corruption plaguing it.
Check out our review to learn more about the game.