The developers of MMORPG Neverwinter have taken to the official forum to share the overview of the Bard, a new class coming to the game in the near future. The team describes the Bard class as a versatile adventurer, the bard commands the power of song to be a powerful healer or a stylish combatant. Regardless of their path, it is a bard’s ability to perform that determines how far they can go.
The perform mechanic is a unique feature that sets the Bard apart from other Neverwinter classes. Perform is activated using the TAB key, by default, and allows the bard to play a variety of songs that can enhance, heal, or hurt their targets. Upon reaching level 11, bards may specialize in either healing or dealing damage.
Songs are a new type of ability that generally can only be used during perform. There are ways to execute these abilities without entering perform mode that you will discover as you play the class, though. Each song is comprised of a series of notes. The series range from 4 to 7 notes in length and can be referenced in the power description when selected.
There are 8 notes in total and when in perform mode they are mapped to the 1 – 8 keys. When a songs pattern has been entered correctly the corresponding ability will execute and perform mode will end. This method of song casting is referred to as manual play. The second new slot is known as a quick play slot. This slot allows the bard to execute a slotted song without having to input that song’s pattern. While convenient, quick play slots are limited and, in various cases, some of the bard’s feats and class features require that a song be played manually in order to receive their benefits.
Bard paragon paths are the Songblade and the Minstrel. The Songblade serves in a DPS role and focuses on supplementing the groups power while performing visually stylish moves. The Minstrel is a healer who sings ballads that can heal, cleanse, and even make their allies more durable.
- Songblades: Stylish swashbucklers who are as charming as they are deadly, that can dispatch their foes in style with swordplay, magic and music. This path is for those who want to be damage dealers who are comfortable close and mid range, and who want to make use of dramatic spells and supporting songs to enhance their natural combat ability.
- Minstrels: Master musicians who prefer to use the power of their instrument to support their allies from afar with songs of bardic inspiration. These healers can also use music to unleash psychic attack spells and illusions.
Neverwinter is a free, action MMORPG based on the acclaimed Dungeons & Dragons fantasy roleplaying game. Epic stories, action combat and classic roleplaying await those heroes courageous enough to enter the fantastic world of Neverwinter!
- Free-to-Play – You don’t have to pay to adventure in Faerûn. All playable content from level 1 to the level cap is completely free!
- D&D Experience – Experience iconic locations, classes, and encounters from the D&D universe – with both heroes and villians – on your journey through the Forgotten Realms.
- Engaging Action Combat – Move swiftly and boldly through your encounters to maximize your effectiveness. Every attack, ability, and dodge will require planning, reflexes, and precision.
- True Customization – Everything from your character to your equipment, to your companion and mounts is customizable. This includes cosmetics, stats and even new abilities!