The latest in a series of video developer diaries about Minecraft Dungeons has been sent out. This time, the team delves into the environments that players will encounter along the way. Developers dive into how players will find procedurally-generated maps packed with familiar enemies and environments from the original game. They even spend a bit of time speaking to the creation of each location and how pacing is key to the experience of players. The end goal is, according to the video, to create a hybrid between “procedural generation and crafted content”. This gives the game its own unique feel.
“The way that we’ve married procedural generation with rewarding gameplay is to design sort of like puzzle pieces that we can then tell the engine to arrange for us, either in a way that we specifically tell us to do or in a way that is more random.” says one of the developers.
Check out the full video above and then head to the Minecraft Dungeons official site to learn more about the game that is expected to launch in spring 2020.
About Minecraft Dungeons
An all-new action-adventure game, inspired by classic dungeon crawlers, coming to PC, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Xbox Game Pass.
- Battle new and nasty mobs in this all-new action-adventure, inspired by classic dungeon crawlers.
- Up to four players can team up and fight together in local and online co-op modes.
- Unlock dozens of unique items and weapon enchantments for devastating special attacks.
- Explore treasure-stuffed levels in a quest to take down the evil Arch-Illager!
- Personalize your character, then fight up-close and personal with melee swings, hang back with ranged attacks, or tank your way through swarms of mobs, shielded by heavy armor!
- The first stand-alone game developed by Mojang and set in the Minecraft universe since… well, Minecraft!