So I just got a chance to watch the new trailer for We Happy Few, developed by Compulsion Games and published by Gearbox Publishing, and I get a distinct BioShock-ish feel that leaves me incredibly excited to give the game a whirl. The trailer can be a little hard to follow with its many cuts and choppy editing, however, the style is reminiscent of an extended trailer for American Horror Story or similar horror/thriller type movie. Check out the trailer for yourself below:
About We Happy Few
We Happy Few is the tale of a plucky bunch of moderately terrible people trying to escape from a lifetime of cheerful denial in the city of Wellington Wells. In this alternative 1960s England, conformity is key. You’ll have to fight or blend in with the drug-addled inhabitants, most of whom don’t take kindly to people who won’t abide by their not-so-normal rules.
Discover the retrofuturistic city’s dark history as you play through the intertwined narratives of three quietly rebellious citizens of Wellington Wells, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, as they face their pasts, prepare for the future, and engage in activities that aren’t exactly status quo in the artificially enthused society.
Three Interwoven Narratives
Play as three flawed characters who explore their own connections to the events surrounding the rebuilding of Wellington Wells. They each have a unique storyline in which they interpret and react to the events around them in different ways. As you hide, conform, or fight back as each of them, you will encounter dark humour, a spot of hope, and even some redemption along the way.
Take Your Joy…or Don’t. The Choice is Yours
Customize your We Happy Few experience:
• Choose from a range of difficulties for new and experienced players alike,
• Play through the story, or make your own story by customizing the sandbox,
• Masochistic? Try permadeath!,
• Collect recipes, scavenge items, and craft dozens of weapons, tools, and devices,
• Creep, crush, or conform your way through puzzles and encounters, and
• Fight with the crazy weapons you can craft, or fight with your bare hands and don’t kill anyone!