Daybreak Games has announced that PlanetSide Arena has launched into Steam early access. PSA is its take on the battle royale genre and features up to 300 players battling it out to be the last player standing. The ultimate goal is to allow up to a thousand players to take part in a single battle. According to Daybreak, the game will launch out of early access in early 2020.
Daybreak has robust plans in place for the coming year that will see new content added. This will come in the form of new vehicles, weapons, classes, events, maps, and game modes. “Modes like 300-player Squads, Sunderdome, Outfit Wars, and Massive Clash” will be added in time.
Players entering the game will find a number of classes to try out, each with its own specific role to play. Add in jetpacks, vehicles, a deep tech tree, a broad weapons mod system, and in-game progression and players will find a lot to do throughout their experience.
The game is the next iteration in the popular PlanetSide series that “defined massive-scale, all-out planetary warfare,” according to developers.
Head on over to the PlanetSide Arena official site to learn more.
Features of PlanetSide Arena
- MASSIVE SCALE: PA will feature 300-player game modes on a massive 64 sq km map at Early Access. Future modes capable of supporting up to 1,000 players per match will introduce scale unrivaled by any other multiplayer shooter.
- UNIQUE CLASSES: PA launches with three initial character classes — Assault, Engineer, and Medic — each with their own unique abilities, utilities, and play styles. Each class ability has three upgrades that can be discovered in-match.
- COMBINED ARMS: A broad selection of sci-fi vehicles – tanks, hover bikes, jetpacks, and more – expands upon traditional infantry warfare, offering teams the ability to quickly navigate the map, power-up, and overwhelm the competition.
- ARENA GAMES: Launching initially with Squads (12 players per Squad) and Teams (3 players per Teams), PlanetSide Arena will expand to include a wide array of new match-based game modes, including Sunderdome, Outfit Wars, and Massive Clash, an intense base vs base conflict that supports up to 1,000 players in a single match.
- NEW PROGRESSION: Power progression plays a huge role in matches, as players can acquire more powerful weapons and attachments through pick-ups and terminals with in-match currency. PlanetSide Arena also offers meaningful out-of-match progression, with unique weapons and armor mods adding new layers of character customization for each class.