Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic throttling players’ abilities to get outside to collect ’em all, Niantic is introducing a new feature to Pokemon Go. The Raid from Home feature will join other measures the game’s developers have added to make PG more playable from the confines of one’s home. While the feature is not enabled yet, Niantic has promised that it will be added in an update in the near future.
A player’s friends list is integral to the success of the Raid from Home feature. Players who have added one another will be able to join Raid groups without having to travel to a gym and without gathering in a group.
Niantic is also promising other additions to the game that will help players stay safe and healthy at home. “We have always believed that our games can include elements of indoor play that complement the outdoor, exercise and explore DNA of what we build. Now is the time for us to prioritize this work, with the key challenge of making playing indoors as exciting and innovative as our outdoor gameplay.”
Some things the team is hoping to add soon include:
- Track indoor steps with Adventure Sync while “cleaning your house and running on a treadmill”. Improvements will make Adventure Sync more compatible with indoor activities.
- In-game social features will be improved to help players keep in touch even when they can’t meet in real life. This includes the Raid from Home feature.
- Exploration will be improved so players can “virtually visit and share memories about their favorite real-world places”.
- Niantic is exploring how to “reimagine” Live Events for the summer.
- GO Battle League can be played anywhere in the world including at home. This feature is live for players to enjoy. Walking requirements have been reduced to 0.
- Incense and Poke Balls are “deeply discounted”.
When these new features will be added to the game is unknown but we’ll keep you posted as more is revealed. In the meantime, be sure to check out the full post on the Pokemon Go / Niantic official site.