Portal Knights DLC, “Elves, Rouges, and Rifts” is bringing a new realm of adventure to the Nintendo Switch and the rest of us are about to get a Portal Knights MMO.
A Switching Sandbox
Available on the Nintendo eShop, this update to the Sandbox RPG from developer Keen and publisher 505 Games is due to drop a ton of new content onto the current Switch game. After the original launched into Steam Early Access back in 2016, this cute co-operative survival game continued to grow, bringing its charming aesthetic and the new expansion to Xbox One, Playstation 4, and PC in June 2019. Now, Just a couple of months after dropping the Elves, Rogues, and Rifts update the first time, owners of the Nintendo Switch can get to grips with all the new action.
Players picking up the new Portal Knights DLC will find it full of the following new features:
• A new Elvish race! Play as an Elf, complete with new customizable ears, Elvish hairstyles, skin tones, and more!
• A new Rogue class! Play as a Rogue and explore new talents like stealth and backstabbing, along with dozens of new, craftable weapons and armor.
• The Roguelite Rifts! Extensive dungeons that are randomly generated upon entry – home to devious traps and puzzles. Time in the Rifts is limited, and they require absolute mastery to obtain the best loot! Players can explore them with friends for their best shot at survival.
• The Elvish City and Rogue’s Guild. Brand new environments packed with quests and political intrigue.
For players that can’t shell £7.99 or local equivalent for the Portal Knights DLC, The announcement of this update also signals new free updates to Portal Knights. This “Free Questing” update adds a ton of new features that do not require the aforementioned expansion, including:
• The Mage’s Guild! A new quest city full of characters and Elysian lore.
• Dungeon creation! For the first time, Creative Mode players will be able to place monsters and create traps and puzzles with new logic blocks, buttons, pressure plates, and more.
• New Quest Log. Players can keep track of their quests as they travel from island to island and can choose which ones to track.
• Much, much more! Hundreds of quality of life updates, bug fixes, performance optimizations, and other surprises.
Even More Adventures
For other players that have already mastered the new Switch DLC on other platforms, you can look forward to new Portal Knight adventures as 505 Games and China’s Duoyi Network have combined to create a Portal KNights MMORPG. In a move that makes perfect sense, the action sandbox RPG is ripe to move into a massive populated online world and the franchise has already sold over one million copies in Greater China.
This MMO promises to take the existing gameplay elements from Portal Knights and add more than jsut scale. Players will be able to experience new gameplay including navigating self-created maps, joining guilds, teaming up to challenge other cities and more.
“This is an exciting milestone for the worldwide growth of the Portal Knights IP,” said Raffaele Galante, CEO of Digital Bros and 505 Games. “Our relationship with Duoyi Network has been crucial to the game’s expansion into China, and now the partnership is providing an opportunity for further growth and depth of the IP by bringing a well-rounded and enjoyable MMO experience to the Portal Knights community.”
Players won’t have to wait too long for more information. Duoyi and 505 are giving a first glimpse at the upcoming Chinajoy event. Keep your eyes peeled here at Gamespace for more information as Chinajoy kicks off.
For those of you that still need some more practice before the MMORPG arrives, Elves, Rouges, and Rifts is available now on the Nintendo eShop. If you’re not sure about the Switch addition, find a friend who has the expansion and they can bring you into the multiplayer action for a free tour. Otherwise, you can find out more about the Portal Knights DLC and upcoming MMO over on the official www.505games.com now.