If you think you know Skyrim, you may want to rethink that. Earlier this week, Bethesda announced that the Special Edition of the game would feature Survival Mode. For now, you can opt in to the beta on Steam. If you’re a console player, you’ll need to wait until October to try it out. However, everyone will receive Survival Mode for free for a week at launch.
Skyrim Survival Mode
As you may have already guessed, Survival Mode adds several new layers to the game including hunger, fatigue, cold, warmth, freezing water, disabled fast travel and more. In addition, health will not regenerate. You’ll have to use spells, foods or potions to recover.
Other notable and very hardcore features:
- You will level up only by sleeping in a bed
- Your carry weight has been severely reduced and being “encumbered” drains stamina and tires you.
- You can get diseases and afflictions from creatures. Eating raw meat brings on Food Poisoning and so forth. You will need to cure diseases to recover.
- The longer you are sick, the more likely you are to get an Affliction like Weakened, Addled or Frostbitten.
- You will have to offer gold at a shrine in order to receive benefits. However, shrines built at your home can be used for free.
- You’ll gain extra 50 carry weight with the Steed Stone and the Extra Pocket perk. In the normal game, it is 100.
- Vampires and Werewolves restore hunger by feeding. You’ll also be less likely to become cold while transformed.
Survival Mode adds new gameplay features and challenges to transform Skyrim into a land of unrelenting cold and harsh wilderness. You can check out the map below to see all the treacherous climate zones, plus helpful landmarks that could ensure you survive your journey. For maximum challenge, try Survival with Legendary difficulty.