Wednesday morning, Wal-Mart slipped up and prematurely posted box art and screenshots for a Switch version of Team Sonic Racing. Though absent from a long list of Switch games confirmed in development back in March, the listing was the first solid evidence of the Sonic racing game that was teased during the Sonic The Hedgehog panel at SXSW. Just a couple of hours after the slip-up, Sega officially confirmed that Team Sonic Racing, being developed by Sumo Digital, will be coming out this winter. Along with the Switch version, TSR will also be available on PS4, XBox One, and PC.
The listing gives us a few details about the game:
- Online Multiplayer & Local Co-Op Modes 12 players per race, 4 player split screen, and various offline/online race modes including Grand Prix Mode, Exhibition Mode, Time-Trial and Team Adventure Mode.
- Team Racing Race as a team, win as a team. Use various team moves to assist your teammates, knock out opponents and unleash your Team Ultimate.
- Performance & Skin Customization Alter the appearance and handling of your vehicle.
- Wisps – 14 spectacular offensive and defensive items to help overcome rival teams and get ahead!
- Adventure Mode Unique story experience where players are introduced to basic game features and characters.
- Various Characters and Classes 15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe and 3 distinct character types including Speed, Technique, and Power classes.
Sumo Digital is no newcomer to the Sonic franchise, working on prior racers Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. With that kind of track record (pun intended), we can expect Team Sonic Racing to challenge that other character and his gang of kart racers for the top spot on the podium.