Steel Wool Studios is doing something with Warhammer 40K that has never been done before. With The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth, players will be taken on an epic journey in a beloved IP all in VR (or via standard PC gameplay). The game is coming to Steam Early Access sometime in the near future, though devs are keeping quiet about anything more specific.
The Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth
The game is considered a tactical turn-based strategy game that takes its inspiration from Games Workshop‘s board game. It features both a single-player campaign, as well as multiplayer PvP skirmishing.
- Original Horus Heresy Narrative: Set in the 31st Millennium on the planet of Calth, Magos Ohmnal Sarc commands a unit of Ultramarines. When he discovers corrupted data in the noosphere, Sarc is confronted with a faction of aggressive Word Bearers and a devastating plot of corruption within the Imperium. Developed by Black Library author, Rob Sanders, out-wit a plot that introduces untold threats and schemes against the Emperor.
- Single-Player Campaign: 24 combat scenarios exploring the conflict between two factions of Space Marines. The story progresses linearly and each level presents unique challenges intertwined with the drama of the narrative.
- A Living Battlefield: While players decide on their next action or wait on their opponent, the world around them continues to animate and fight.
- Multiplayer Skirmish Mode: Players can choose between the Ultramarine and Word Bearer factions. Units include Legionnaires, Terminators, Dreadnoughts and a cast of characters armed with everything from Bolters to multi-meltas to assault cannons. More character classes will be added up until the final game release.
- VR Mode: The “human-scale” view of Space Marine combat gives the player the feeling of being on the battlefield during 40k action. A world first VR game set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.
- Cross-Platform Multiplayer Matchmaking: Play on either gaming PC, HTC Vive or Oculus Rift. As a turn-based game, PC versus VR provides no gameplay advantages, only differing user experiences of the world.
As avid Warhammer 40,000 tabletop gamers, Steel Wool Studios set out to bring the lore of the Horus Heresy to life in an increasingly engaging narrative. Early Access mode starts with the initial chapter of a five-part campaign. Single-player mode (VR and PC) will include a five-map narrative, while PvP Multiplayer has four maps and two play modes (Deathmatch and Objective Match). Each proceeding update will include a new chapter filled with new maps, weapons, abilities and units.