Excellent Metroidvania pixel-art Dead Cells just got a massive new game update on Steam. Check out the trailer above, and some of the details below. Be sure to stay tuned for our impressions in the coming days.
From the notes:
Some items (weapons or skills) are Dual colors, which means they can rely on two different stats, and use the highest value. You may also encounter random Colorless items: these ones will always use your best stat.
Here are the effects of these new three stats when you augment them:
- Brutality (red): raise all red item damage, add +18% life
- Tactic (purple): raise all purple item damage, reduce all active cooldowns
- Survival (green): raise all green item damage, add +40% life
How you choose to level up is now more important than ever.
Other notable features include:
- Two new biomes: the infamous Clock Tower and the mysterious Slumbering Sanctuary. Both include new enemies and loot.
- The Watcher boss is now a mid-game boss, while the new Assassin boss becomes the final encounter. Note that the current game ending still isn’t definitive: Motion Twin plans to add the real game nemesis in a later update.
- All Cursed treasures now drop Colorless items. Right now, it’s the only way to get this kind of item.
- 10 new items, including weapons, shields and active skills!
- Four new enemy types!
There are many more changes in the patch notes, including some helpful community suggestions. Dead Cells launched into Steam Early Access on May 10, 2017 for Windows PC and has since sold more than 500,000 copies. The game is also now available on GOG.com. Dead Cells is currently available for $16.99 USD.