During last Friday’s Season 2021 livestream, Riot Games announced a plethora of new content coming to all of its stable of games. Players will find new things in League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, League of Legends: Wild Rift, and Legends of Runeterra. In addition, the company revealed a host of esports action for “the new era of sport”.
League of Legends – New year, New League
- Viego, the Ruined King, arrives in an all-new CG, bringing a threat that could leave the world in ruin. Play the brand new jungler later this month.
- This week, players will have an opportunity to vote between three thematics, Monster Tamers, Crime City Nightmare, and Debonair 2.0, for prioritization in 2021, as well as the next champion update (Shyvana, Nocturne, Udyr, Quinn, and Skarner)
- The ranked season has begun. Teams can also kick their season off in a Clash tournament on January 16 & 17
- Sweeping item changes from Preseason 2020 will give players new ways to build their champions and turn the tables in Season 2021
- Set in 2057, the year of the Ox, Lunar Beast is a brand new world where futuristic cityscapes and ancient temples collide. Celebrate the 2021 Lunar New Year with Fiora, Jarvan, and Alistar, with more to come.
Teamfight Tactics – TFT has a lot coming in 2021 the Fates Mid-set and Championship followed by two brand new sets and a new mode before the end of the year.
- Fates’ mid-set, Festival of Beasts will be coming soon. The mid-set brings a new ranked stage, new champions, new traits, and new Little Legends to the mythical fantasy world of Fates.
- This spring, TFT’s next set will bring players into its most dramatic setting yet, with a looming threat on the balance between Good and Evil.
And later in the year, TFT will be launching a faster mode that players can experience when they’re short on time, especially for those moments where you only have twenty minutes or less
Look forward to the Fates Championship. Regional qualifiers have already begun, and the Fates champion will be crowned in just a few months. The viewing experience will also be improved upon as we head towards the climax of this set’s competition.
League of Legends: Wild Rift – The League of Legends: Wild Rift team has a ton planned for 2021, and the game offers meaningful new ways for players old and new to engage with the world of League
- League of Legends: Wild Rift, the mobile and console version of League, continues its Regional Open Beta and will be coming to the Americas in March.
- Just like the early days of League PC, an average of two champs per month will be released in 2021. Three confirmed future champions are Katarina, Rammus, and Dr. Mundo (in his updated iteration from League of Legends).
- Be one of the first to climb the ladder; Wild Rift’s first official ranked season begins this week
- Additionally, Wild Rift ARAM (All Random All Mid) is in development and will be available for testing later this year
- Wild Rift will be running many events this year including Yordle Expedition and Lunar Beasts! Explore Runeterra through its littlest champions like Teemo, Lulu, Corki, Tristana, and Kennen all throughout January. And in February, celebrate the Lunar New Year with Fiora, Jarvan, Alistar, and the others, as well as Miss Fortune, a champion skin that will be unique to Wild Rift
Legends of Runeterra – 2021 is the year where Legends of Runeterra brings to life two more regions of Runeterra (including Shurima in March), delivers more ways to play with your friends and gives you exciting new champions like Aphelios (coming February) to collect and master across more modes than ever.
- The next region to be added to LoR is the magnificent, ancient land of Shurima. Across three expansions, we’ll explore Shurima’s rich history and bold new future, as well as exciting new gameplay—seek buried relics, predict the future, or tap into the godlike power of the Ascended.
- Additionally, LoR will bring players more beloved champions from Runeterra, more often, even outside of our bimonthly expansions. First up is Aphelios, who’s coming to LoR next month!
- We want to give players more ways to enjoy LoR with their friends, starting with our first cooperative Lab coming January 13th
- The team is also further investing in competition this year, with our next seasonal tournament coming in late February
Esports – The next 10 years of LoL Esports, & the new era of sport, start now
- We’re proud of our history, but we’ve only just begun. New meta, new stars, new attitude. The next decade of League begins now. We will continue to build a thriving, multi-generational global sport, bringing joy to billions of fans around the world
- Plans for 2021 also include expanding our esports structure and organization to new League IP games including TFT, LoR, and Wild Rift
- Three regions will be rebranding in 2021 (LCK, LCS, and CBLoL) and two regions will be moving toward our long-term partnerships model aka franchising (LCK, CBLoL)
- For the 11th professional esports season of League of Legends, Shenzhen, China, will serve as the host city for 2021’s World Championship Finals
- Our innovation and creativity has led to competition and pop-culture moments that resonate with a growing global audience, making League of Legends Esports a continuously top choice for sports and entertainment