Big Moustache Games and Headup Games announced the release of the multi-player strategy survival RPG, Grimmwood – They Come At Night on Steam PC! Available now on Steam with a 10% release discount, so the current price is $13.49 USD instead of $14.99 USD.
“Grimmwood” features several rogue-lite RPG elements that will challenge players to cooperate with other members of their village to prevail over evil. In Grimmwood, you defend your village together with up to 39 other strangers (real-life players) in an ageless mystical forest. Fight against the merciless monster hordes that unleash their wrath against your shelter every night. For survival, the whole village has to work together as a well-organized team. “Games” take weeks to complete, then onto the next village.
For an even harder experience, you can try the recently added “Blitz Mode”, where a day in game lasts 15 minutes instead of 24 hours real time. As a result, players are able to spend longer time periods in the woods – one day after another.
You and your village’s survival depends upon execution of different tasks in Grimmwood. You strategically plan your scouting routes and explore the procedurally generated area around your village; you gather resources like food, gear and other useful things; craft weapons, tools and food, and strengthen your village’s defences before night falls. When darkness is upon you hordes of monsters will relentlessly attack your village every night to try to plunder and kill you and your co-villagers. Rumour has it that after thirty days help will arrive from the outside, it’s up to you to survive together with your village as long as possible!
With formal release comes many improvements from the open beta phase, including:
- Added local map markers to create specific routes
- Move directly on the Global Map (as an alternative to the Local Map movement)
- Monsters drop loot now and are fully animated
- Terrain-specific sound ambience
- 40 players per village in normal mode
- 10 villagers in Blitz Mode
- The different weapons have special effects during night attacks
- Soundtrack added to the game, there wasn’t any music before
Read on for more about Grimmwood and stay tuned to Gamespace.com for our forthcoming impressions piece!
You’re in a village in an ageless, mystical forest, together with up to 40 other strangers all of which are real, live players. Together you need to defend your village against the merciless monster hordes who unleash their wrath against your shelter every night. Use the daytime wisely to explore, gather resources, upgrade and repair. But to be able to do all that you have to eat, drink and rest because every action in the game takes its toll on your stamina and sanity.
Every night monsters attack your village. Use the daytime and your stamina points to explore the procedurally generated forest, find weapons and useful items, collect food and resources to upgrade and forficate the village. Share tasks and decisions with the other players and work together, because night by night the monsters attacks will become more fierce… And the village must survive at all costs!
The world of Grimmwood is engulfed by a nameless 16th-century war raging across the continent. The Villagers are common folk, refugees from the big cities who seek sanctuary in the depths of the ageless Forest. Many of them have lost their loved ones and all their belongings… everything but their will to live and see another day.
The village which the survivors have discovered deep in the Great Forest seems a lot older – probably even with by centuries. It is destitute of any signs of life – nothing to even hint on what might have happened to its former inhabitants.
The Great Forest is old and vast. There are things here never seen by any man… who lived to tell the tale. The villagers are not wanted here – they only disturb the natural order of things in this dark and secluded part of the world.
The Mystical Forces
A lot of things that happen in the Great Forest go beyond anything the villagers have ever experienced or have the capacity for understanding. Resurrection, mystical artefacts, herbs and potions with amazing effects on the human body – there’s a lot to be discovered, examined… and probably feared.
- Against all Odds: Survive by turning a bunch of strangers into a sworn fellowship.
- Every Game is a new Journey: Huge, procedurally generated hex grid forest map to explore – 600 tiles in size!
- Choose your Path wisely: Every action costs stamina points of which you have only a limited number each day.
- Continuous Asynchronous Multiplayer: Log in at any time during the real-time 24-hour day cycle to gear up with your fellow villagers and fortify the defences or venture into the wild together.
- Keep your Body and Soul in check: Sanity and condition systems which will, directly and indirectly, affect your efficiency and playstyle.
- Strong Emphasis on Social Interaction: In-game Chat and Forum, where all key decisions are put up for discussion.
- Permadeath, Roguelike Elements: The only thing you bring with you to the next Village is your knowledge and your ingenuity.
- Play by the Rules – or don’t: Vote to expel the Villagers who don’t contribute to the Village survival or simply try to ruin everybody’s experience.