Howdy, pardners! If y’all have been a-lookin’ for a rootin’ tootin’ good time in the Old West, we’ve got some good news for ya. Hopalong The Badlands is a new VR first-person (DOH!) shooter that has just moseyed its way to Steam. Developed by From the Future, the studio describes it as “a VR game where violence and comedy combine” and one that “puts spurs to the fun”.
The game takes a liberal approach to the “reality” part of VR with players riding stick horses across the tumbleweed strewn paths arcing through the game world. You’ll take the part of the new Sheriff in town and ride the lone trails to take out the Dynamite Gang and Boss Boomity.
Hopalong The Badlands
Here’s what else we know:
Hopalong: The Badlands’ “quickdraw” ability shows off VR at its best by allowing players to slow down time around them and perform multiple shots in rapid succession. This feature paired with enemy types such as the “Heavy Boomity” create a more dynamic and challenging experience for players.
- Oscillot locomotion system for intuitive movement through the landscape.
- Murderous stick-horse riding outlaws made out of wood.
- Weapons! Players start with an eight shooter. Unlock a pick, double barrel shotgun, sniper rifle and dynamite as you progress.
- Fight Boss Boomity and his flying stick-pig, Pigasus, in an intense night-time battle.
- Earn new stick horses as you progress, even Pigasus!
- Dodge dynamite or shoot it while it’s in the air back at the imbecile that threw it.
- Enemies with Gatling guns? Run!
You can get hold of this bad boy, pilgrim, for a mere $25. Gallop on over to Steam to learn more.