There are tons of gaming platforms with some of the most exciting releases. You know about them because you spend a lot of time searching the internet. But there is one thing that keeps on frustrating you.
Sometimes, when you click on a link, you get the message unavailable in your location. That means the content providers are taking advantage of using geo-blocking functionalities. Many gamers have to go through this. But there is a simple solution that you need to be aware of. And, it comes in the form of gaming servers.
Please log off the game you are about to play for a minute. You will want to read about overcoming the challenge of geo-restricted content.
1. Start by Understanding the Role of Proxies in Gaming
Let’s start the discussion by understanding the role of proxies in gaming. You see, every time you are online, it is easy to track your location. The IP address is like a physical address but only in digital space. Remote servers can easily track your exact location. The only way to stay anonymous is to hide your IP address. And that is what a proxy server can do for you.
There are two types of proxies, depending on where the IP comes from.
- Datacenter proxies, as the name suggests, get their address from data centers. The disadvantage of such proxies is that many other people use the same server. The remote servers can end up banning such IP addresses.
- A good solution lies in using a residential proxy. Residential proxies get the IP addresses from the internet service providers. They connect to actual locations and devices like laptops or mobile phones. Connection to a real place of residence and device makes such proxies more undetectable.
The geo-targeting functionality in proxies hides your actual location. You could appear like you are in the US while you are actually in China. This allows you to bypass the geo-blocking restrictions. Yes, dear gamer, that game only available in the US, will now be within easy reach of you.
With a good understanding of proxies, it becomes easier to choose the best one for your gaming needs.
2. Determine the Must-Have Features for the Gaming Proxy
By now, it should be pretty clear that there are many different types of proxy. As a gamer, there are some must-have features that you should have on your priority list. These include:-
- Ability to access geo-restricted content.
- IP unblocking capabilities in case a remote gaming server blocks your IP.
- Traffic balancing and caching capabilities.
- Stable connection and high-speed capabilities. The right proxy will reduce the ping time between the gaming server and your ISP. It does this by establishing a shorter route between the two points.
- Unlimited bandwidth means higher speeds when gaming.
- Ability to choose a proxy location. Those that have preselected offerings may restrict you in some way, depending on the content you need.
- Security features to keep your system safe from malware and hackers.
When shopping for a proxy, start by understanding what your needs are. For gamers, getting access to the restricted content would be one of the priority items. Now look at the options available and see what features they have. Take advantage of online forums like Reddit, Quora, or gaming platforms to ask for more information on the best proxies. Narrow down the list of vendors as much as you possibly can. Aim to get at least three of the best. It makes it easier to do research with a small number of suppliers.
Now, put on your detective hat and get ready for some sleuthing. One of the richest sources of information is from online reviews. Go through as many as you can to get an accurate picture of what you are buying.
1. Cost Factor and 24/7 Customer Support
Do note, the best proxy servers do come with a cost implication. There are free options but you may want to avoid those. Always live by the mantra; you get what you pay for. In terms of the offering, free proxies will not give much. Performance, security, configuration, and incompatibility issues may arise.
And, let’s throw in another mantra to cement the point further. Cheap is expensive. Free proxies could introduce malware into your system. The amount of money that will go into dealing with the infection may be more than what you would have spent on a dedicated proxy.
Decide on how much you would be comfortable paying to help you decide. Many providers have different subscription levels. It is ideal because you only pay for what you need. With some as cheap as $10 per month, there is no point settling for less.
Even the best proxies may experience technical difficulties. You could be in the middle of a game, and suddenly, you can’t access the content. The proxy vendor you opt for should be available for 24/7 customer support. Check that you can reach the teams through multiple avenues. These include phone, email, ticketing, or live chats.
Let geo-blocking be a thing of the past when gaming. A proxy server provides a quick, inexpensive solution. We have looked at some of the things you need to know when looking for one. Start with an understanding of the critical role of proxies. Do a little more research on the different types available. When shopping, start by having a checklist of the must-have features. We highly recommend residential proxies because remote servers find them harder to track. They provide higher anonymity and are excellent for accessing restricted content.
The proxy server should also have unlimited bandwidth. It helps ensure high speeds when gaming. Long lags can be very frustrating when you are in the middle of a high-adrenaline game. When researching proxy providers, make sure you read plenty of customer reviews. Online gaming forums can also be a fantastic source of information.
Finally, ensure the provider offers excellent after-sales support. You should reach the teams at a moment’s notice, anytime you need them.