Versus Evil and Obsidian Entertainment have announced the console release date for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Ultimate Edition. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game will officially be available starting January 28, 2020. Unfortunately, the Switch version of the game is not yet dated. The Ultimate Edition will feature all of the released DLC for the game as well as all released updates and patches.
It is likely that both the publisher and developer are hoping that the console release of Pillars 2 will boost its sales numbers. PC sales were lackluster and Obsidian has indicated that the franchise’s future is unknown as a result of the poor sales. According to Obsidian’s Design Director Josh Sawyer, PC sales were “relatively low” and that the company would have to “re-examine the entire format of the game”.
However, fans of the IP are adamant that Pillars 2 is a good game despite sales numbers. Our own review scored Pillars 2 at 9.8 with our reviewer saying, “Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire has taken Obsidian’s formula of success and brought it to the new heights. Complex and life-like fully narrated companions, wonderfully deep systems, an epic story involving gods and mortals and the atmospheric soundtracks will swipe you off your feet right into the world of Eora. The developers have also already shared their plans for the post-launch content that will include three major story-driven DLCs, ensuring that you will not run out of things to do in PoE2 for a long time to come.”
Learn more about Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire on the game’s official site.
About Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
- Play in either Turn-Based Mode or Classic Real-Time with Pause: Immerse yourself in a deeper single-player RPG game experience—now with both classic real-time with pause and new turn-based combat, Deadfire builds on the foundation of classic tabletop gameplay more than ever before.
- A massive adventure: Over 100 hours of gameplay per playthrough.
- Play however you want: Detailed character creator character and over 1000 class permutations give you the freedom to be whoever you want.
- Gather your party: Build your party and customize your companions to join you on your quest. Assign multiple classes and deeper abilities for each. Witness their personal relationships, reactions to player choice, and interactions with each other unfold.
- “Beast of Winter” DLC: Heed the call of Vatnir, a priest of the god of death, to halt the tide of destruction encroaching upon the living.
- “The Forgotten Sanctum” DLC: Battle your way through the bowels of a vengeful, sleeping god.
- “Seeker, Slayer, Survivor” DLC: Triumph or die in the Crucible of Kazuwari, where only the mighty reign.