If you’ve been waiting with baited breath since the announcement of Age of Empires: Definitive Edition, we’ve got good news for your Friday. Microsoft has announced that the game will be coming to Windows 10 PCs on February 20th.
Microsoft has plans to run a multiplayer beta starting January 29th that will be open to anyone. You can learn more here.
Age of Empires: Definitive Edition
When we set out to create the Definitive Edition of the original Age of Empires, our goal was to deliver the best possible version of this classic. Everything needed to be as good as you remembered it (or better!) to deliver a compelling RTS experience 20 years after its original release. It was important for the team to treat the franchise with the respect it deserves, so we took the time we needed to get features like attack-move and the improved minimap exactly right, and even added things like an in-game tech tree (how did we survive 1997 without that?) that we hope fans will love.
For this Definitive Edition, we’ve made improvements like:
- Completely rebuilding assets for a modern 4K presentation
- Letting you play online with Xbox LIVE (in addition to LAN play)
- Re-recorded the original soundtrack with a new orchestral score
- Adding campaign narration for every mission
- Enhancing the campaign and scenario editor, which allows anyone to make original custom campaigns for the game, by letting players easily share them with other players around the world
The above and more outline the many quality of life gameplay improvements we’ve added – all while retaining the original feel and unique gameplay that made Age of Empires so special for so many.